Structural Survey Reports

We offer a range of structural survey quotes and reports to meet your project’s requirements. See below to find out more about the main services we can provide.


What does a Structural Survey Report Include?

Structural surveys are undertaken in order to report on structural defects such as cracks in walls, damage caused by water or subsidence / movement of foundations etc. The initial report will usually be based on a visual inspection of the associated area of concern. If further intrusive investigations are required to identify the cause and condition of the defect/s, we will also advise on this.

A building survey is a type of property survey that is generally more in-depth in that it will include inspections in hard to reach / hard to inspect areas to assess whether or not a building/property has any defects that could lead to a loss of structural integrity or could contribute towards other issues such as cracking of internal walls, ceiling cracks, damage to beams/joists as well as subsidence.

A building survey is generally required prior to exchange of contracts when buying a property or before work is undertaken to extend the property or making structural adjustments.

Our structural surveys in London help property owners, homeowners and property developers to assess the state/condition of a property typically looking for internal issues such as chimney breast integrity, wall and floor evenness, ceiling cracks, dampness, mould and rising damp, woodworm, rot and other issues that can impact properties structural integrity.

Our building surveys will also generally look for external issues from roof integrity through to chimneys, guttering, external walls and brickwork (looking for any telltale cracks or signs of subsidence, issues with buckled windows or doors, drainage from the property etc.

External structural surveys will also look at property extensions including conservatories, orangeries as well as stand-alone structures such as garages.

Our structural reports package include the following, but not limited to:-

  • Site inspection, usually a visual survey unless dictated otherwise / full structural surveys by one of our structural engineers.
  • Verbal advice and discussion of structural surveys during the visit.
  • A written report by a chartered or near chartered engineer.
  • Email and phone support for queries related to the technical report.
  • Homebuyer structural reports & structural surveys from our qualified structural engineers

Structures Made Easy are not RICS chartered surveyors – instead, our structural engineers are qualified to standards.

Additional items:-

  • Further inspections to view opening up works, if required.
  • Further inspections to sign off work undertaken (by request only).
  • Further supplementary structural reports.
  • Full building survey & generation of a survey report

Our structural surveys & structural reports usually include a description of the structural defects and the suspected causes, suggestions on how to remediate and estimated costs associated to fix structural problems (by request). We can also provide recommendations on further investigations if required, such as trial pits or CCTV surveys which may be required to conclude our findings.

Cracks in walls, ceilings and floors are caused by a number of different reasons (all of which can be identified within structural surveys). Depending on the size, exact location and frequency of the cracks, the risks associated can vary substantially. Hairline cracks to a new ceiling below a timber roof can often be caused by the thermal expansion and contraction of the timber over time, as its natural moisture content fluctuates and may have no significant structural concern. Whereas larger vertical cracking to a masonry gable wall can sometimes indicate movement of the walls below, or the pulling away of wall from insufficient tying of the structure. Cracks with ongoing movement may pose a larger risk than historical cracks that have settled and remain stationary.

Our civil engineers / London structural engineers can provide a full building survey / structural survey report to satisfy requirements for almost any purposes including mortgage lenders.

Subsidence or movement of foundations can often cause cracking and structural damage to the building above. There are often a variety of causes for these movements and the investigation and remediation can vary based on the cause and associated risk. Washing away of fine particles in the soil or having foundations cast onto poor ground can lead to localised movements. Tree roots have a tendency to penetrate through weaknesses in foundations and can lead to ongoing problems if not dealt with effectively.

Selling property with known or visible structural defects can not only put off prospective buyers but also lead to requirements for structural surveys to be undertaken before mortgage lenders release their funds. This is why most lenders will insist on structural surveys before funds are disbursed.  A full survey report / full structural survey and/or building survey is important to ascertain structural integrity – this is also required for most building insurances.

Our surveys are not associated with RICS because Structures Made Easy offers them through our engineers and not surveyors. Our engineers are associated with the institution of civil engineers.

Need to discuss your next structural surveys or building survey?


Structural Survey Quote

To obtain a quote we need the property address, project brief in writing and any other relevant information such as other survey reports and floor plans.

Contact us by phone, email or by filling up the quick enquiry form to obtain a quote.

Indication of fees*:

  • Full Structural Surveys & Structural Engineering Reports start from £750+VAT ~ £1000+VAT or above. If you are looking for a building survey please contact us to discuss costs.
  • Basement impact assessment reports from £1900+VAT or above.
  • Method statements start from £750+VAT or above.

*Structural Survey Quotes do vary from project to project so best thing is to contact us to obtain a quote specific for your needs.

We make all our processes as simple as
possible giving you peace of mind

quote icon orange


Get a quote. Refer to enquiry form or email or speak to engineer

Inspection icon orange


Arrange site inspection

Report delivered icon orange


Report delivered

Case studies

View Project

Bromley BR2

Domestic refurbishment and internal alterations to a three-storey semi-detached house.


View Project

Waltham Forest 04 London E17

Domestic refurbishment and extension.

View Project

St. Margarets 01 Twickenham Richmond upon Thames TW1

Domestic refurbishment and extension.

Why choose us?

With over 3000 successfully completed projects to date, we have consistently proven ourselves to be a leader in the industry. From design cross check procedures to quality control measures, we will ensure your project is completed to your exact specifications.

100% Success in Building Regs

Fully Qualified SE

Transparent Fees

Practical & Efficient Designs

Clear Advice

Fast Turnaround



You can view from drop down menu below some of the most frequently asked questions. Feel free to contact us if you cannot find answers you need.

The cost of a report should range depending on what is required from the engineer to inspect and report on. Usually for a London domestic property of 3 bedrooms you should expect a range of between £750+VAT - £850+VAT. For larger domestic properties such as 5 bedrooms detached houses expect the cost to rise up to £1500+VAT or more depending on scale.
A structural engineer can help with specifying structural elements required for altering an existing building or creating a new one. This can be done by doing drawings & calculations to support the build and comply with building regulations (part A – Structure). A structural engineer can also prepare a structural report as a specialist on structural defect issues such as subsidence, movement and cracking etc. A surveyor role can be diverted to carry out general building surveys on the overall condition of the building, provide valuations or act as an expert witness to resolve a dispute. Party wall surveyors can also help with sorting out party wall disputes and ensuring compliance with party wall act.
If you have concerns about a structural defect within your property then you should hire a structural engineer to visit and inspect your property and advise you whether the defects are ongoing, historic and whether they are serious or minor. Also if you are preparing to embark on structural works within your property such as creating an extension or loft conversion or even knocking down walls or chimney breasts, it is always recommended to hire a structural engineer to make an inspection and prepare the necessary drawings & calculations to confirm which walls are structural and how to create support required to achieve your aspirations.
Yes, we have a list of reputable building contractors and could potentially make a recommendation for your specific project.
This will depend on many design factors and parameters and there is definitely no one set answer. For example a solution to reduce beam weight might be done by choosing two lighter beams instead of one beam or by changing architectural layout and inserting a column somewhere along the span of the beam or by changing the structural layout of the beams, etc. The options can be endless so best to discuss specific requirement with the project engineer with open mind that each project is different and solutions can vary from project to another.
Cracks in walls, ceilings and floors are caused by several different reasons. Depending on the size, exact location and frequency of the cracks, the risks associated can vary substantially. Subsidence or movement of foundations can often cause cracking and structural damage to the building above. There are often a variety of causes for these movements and the investigation and remediation can vary based on the cause and associated risk.
If construction work is proposed in a project, involving altering the existing structure, adding significant loads or building a new structure, then you will need a structural engineer. If you are unsure whether the alterations are structural (such as whether a wall is load bearing or if removing a chimney has structural implications) then you will also need advice from a structural engineer.